“At TD, we join together around a common mission to enrich the lives of our customers and colleagues across the diverse communities we serve. Our commitment to fostering an environment where people of all backgrounds and abilities are able to achieve their goals grows out of our shared mission. Enabling people of all abilities to thrive is not only the right thing to do for our people; it’s also the smart thing to do for our business – enabling us to deliver innovative experiences that delight our diverse customers.” – Peter Mottek, Chair of the Individuals with Diverse Abilities Subcommittee
TD Bank has a long history of fostering a diverse and inclusive culture, but it wasn’t until 2013 that we week took our commitment to the next level by offering awareness training for managers and creating a cross-functional taskforce focused on enhancing our inclusive culture. We also created a Diversity Talent Advisor role to improve our efforts to hire, retain and develop people with diverse abilities.
TD joined the Going for Gold project with the goal of enhancing our hiring and diverse ability inclusion practices. This led us to identify several job opportunities across our footprint. With the help of the GFG team, we established sourcing strategies for each position, hosting on-site briefing sessions with our partners and TD’s recruiters and discussing how best to collaborate to achieve our common goals. Our efforts were rewarded with tangible results.
June 2014 to June 2017
- Experienced more than a 350% increase in hires of individuals with diverse abilities since the start of GFG, bringing the total to over 450
- Enhanced cross-functional representation and effectiveness of the disability-focused Business Resource Group (BRG)
- Improved access to the careers portal for individuals with diverse abilities
- Established best practices in making reasonable accommodations available to candidates and employees and communicating about these resources internally and externally
- Transitioned our BRG Executive Sponsor
- Improved our inclusion of diverse-ability-owned businesses in our supply chain strategy through USBLN Disability Supplier program
- Scored 100% on the USBLN Disability Equality Index
- Participated in the USBLN Rising Leaders Mentoring Program
- Earned recognition for our diverse ability inclusion practices, including being named a top company for people with diverse abilities by DiversityInc in May 2017